Friday, August 8, 2008

Growing Up

As a kid, I can remember not being able to wait until I was an adult and could make the rules myself! And there are parts of it I actually do enjoy. I love love love being a mom. I enjoy being married, having someone with flesh to lean on. I love my job, my role as a minister's wife, and I mostly enjoy being a daughter-in-law.

What I DON'T like is watching my parents declining health. My dad has too many medical issues to get into. My mom has been relatively healthy most of her life. She's had a few surgeries over her lifetime, but nothing drastic. So yesterday, when my dad called to tell me they had taken her to Bailey Medical here in Owasso by ambulance, I was shocked. Chest and back pain. Come to find out, she's been having anxiety attacks, numbness in the left arm, and pain in and around the "female" region. She's been ignoring her symptoms for awhile now. The ER doc asked if she was willing to stay overnight for observation, and then testing for cardiac complications in the morning. She hesitated, and I jumped in. "YES! She is willing!" Her and my dad just looked at each other and then at me. "I want to know what's wrong! Don't you!?" Yes, of course they did. So she stayed.

I'm the oldest kid. It's so strange that they are looking to me. It's stranger still that her brother's are calling me for updates, and not calling my dad. I don't know that I'm ready for this new responsibility. I will take care of my mom when I am able and when she is willing. But selfishly, I am raising my own family. Do I have time for this? I know she will be okay. They are going find out what's wrong, medicate her properly and send her home to rest. This is just a warning sign to her, and a glimpse of what's to come for me I suppose.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'll bet you're doing this, because you're able to - something in it will make you stronger too. God bless your parents and I hope everything is right with your Mom!