Saturday, July 19, 2008

Drama

When in the context of a movie, a play, or a skit, I really like drama. Escape from reality is a welcome thing. That's why I love to read. I can forget about the world around me for a time. Real life drama, on the other hand, is not so welcome. Whether it is my drama, my kid's, or someone else's, I don't like this kind of drama. It's draining. It's unpleasant. It is a part of life I would like to skip all together.

I have had a friend tell me that she just doesn't allow drama. How do you not allow drama? It's so ingrained into today's society. Jealousy, exploding anger, over reacting to hurt feelings and disappointments. All drama. I don't like to deal with my own reactions to things. I, like the vast majority of this country, want to blame someone else. "If she hadn't ________, I wouldn't have _________. It's HER fault!"

We have a lot of kids in our new neighborhood. Part of me really loves this, and another part doesn't. They don't all get along, or they get jealous of time spent with another. My kids included. This causes drama to the nth degree. I have been trying to teach my kids they can only control themselves.

The truth is, we have to learn to accept personal responsibility. It's probably true that if she hadn't __________, I wouldn't have __________, but is that really the point? No. I can't control what someone else says or does, I CAN control how I respond. Or I can walk away. Or count to ten. Or pray! Novel idea.

Drama drama drama...How do you deal with drama in your life?

1 comment:

mbshaner said...

Bury it deep inside until it goes away (or blows up in someone else's face). :-)