Thursday, July 17, 2008

Love is a Choice, something you do...

Love. First Corinthians 13 4-8a describes it as follows:

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

So how is it that so many of my friends are going to bed with everything in their marriage seemingly fine, and waking up in the morning to find their spouse no longer loves them and wanting a divorce? These are not "unchurched" people I'm describing. They have been in church for quite some time. I'm sure there were signs of discontent. Although, the actual stating "I have no feelings for you" or "I no longer love you" is a shock, no matter the warning signs. Just this last month, I have two friends that this has happened to. It makes me so sad, and angry with the spouse who has "changed his/her mind." What happened to the promises made in the wedding vows? You know the ones...In sickness and in health, for poorer and for richer, till death do we part? Have we forgotten that love is not an emotion or a feeling, but a choice? I choose everyday to love my husband, and the butterfly feeling in the tummy follows. It doesn't happen the other way around! We need to pray diligently for our families. Our marriages are under attack. I, for one, don't want to see Satan even think he has a chance of winning this battle!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Just stopping by to say hi from all the way down the Turner Turnpike! Glad things are going well ... just make sure Tim wears a helmet!